I was quoted in an Wall Street Journal article regarding relocating within your company for finance professionals. I believe the content in this article applies to anyone - not just those working in finance.
Key points made in the article include:
- Mobility Mindset - Think about how a move will affect the spouse, children & other important issues in your life.
- Long term goals for Short term assignments - Be clear about how the assignment will fit into your long-term career plan.
- Work/Life balance - Make sure you and your family understand the commitment and journey ahead and insure that family and balance are prioritized appropriately.
- Understand the Value of Global Experience - Working abroad increases your career capital. Take advantage of every opportunity to learn and grow from the experience.
- Consider a Smaller Market - Consider exploring opportunities that will give you increased responsibility in smaller markets.
- Negotiate - Be informed about all of the expatriate benefits and support that are available and insure you're getting as much support as you can. The salary is just part of the equation.
- Stay Engaged - Keep in regular contact with the home office to insure those to whom you report are aware of the value of experience you are gaining and are keeping you in mind when planning for the future projects.
Doing your homework and evaluating this choice thoroughly will insure you are making the right one and that you are prepared to make the best of it if you make the choice to go.
Have you become an expat and relocated abroad and within your company? Were there other factors in retrospect that you would recommend others consider? Please share your thoughts via a comment below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ career by choice can help you...become an expat and experience a global lifestyle ~ explore international career options and find work abroad ~ understand your Brand DNA and how you perform at your best ~ clarify your personal brand so you can stand out and be sought after for top jobs overseas ~ develop marketing tools and strategies to communicate your unique expertise in a compelling way ~ strengthen your online reputation to attract employers and secure international jobs ~ become highly visible, recognized and well compensated for the value you create ~ overcome challenges and grow as a leader on international assignments ~ leverage social media to build your global online network ~ develop a global mindset ~ find an international career coach and experienced guide ~ conduct an international job search ~ optimize your choices and discover success abroad on your terms by being your best self. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~